Do you own an online Business?
If you own a business and have a website then your answer is YES!
Most business owners somehow miss the piece about seeing their website as a business in it’s own right.
Even if you are out there promoting yourself or your hobby or charity, a website should be viewed as a potential business.
We will take a look at how to build an online business in a minute but first:
Lets take a look at traditional business for a minute.
Business has 5 key activities to become successful and sustainable. They are
- To provide something of value
- To people who want it
- At a competitive price
- In a way that satisfies their expectations
- While providing sustainable profit in order to make staying in business worth the effort
How do we achieve this?
- Market research
- Competition analysis and customer service
- Value delivery
- Good financial management
So in a traditional business we go about
- researching our market to find out who our customers are and what they want and
- then advertise our product t those customers
- set our business up to have fantastic customer service when they walk through the door
In the online world the process is very similar but not many people do it well
Most people have a website that tell every visitor everything about the products or service and how long they have been in business. All good stuff, but where is the process steps of providing what it is our customers are looking for?
The internet is for
- finding out information and
- then comparing products or services and
- finally making the decision to make the phone call or take out the credit card and make a purchase.
Get these step wrong and you loose the customer and you don’t even know because it happens with out you being aware they visited your website.
The 5 steps listed above for for a traditional business are still relevant for online business except they can be done far more effectively and faster, it’s just a matter of knowing what tools to use and how to set them up on a website to achieve the result you are looking for.
The most basic of requirements for a successful online business (which means your business website or any other website you are using to build some sort of authority with) are
- know your customer and what they really want and
- get them to take action on your website
- promote your website to those who you identify as your ideal customer
- build a system to engage them and provide real value to them (the old practice of just asking them to join your mailing list doesn’t do it anymore)
- interact with your customers in a way that provides a benefit for them being associated with you. (Most commonly through social media)
There are literally thousands of tool which claim to speed up the process, but the bottom line is if you set out building an online presence with these points in mind, chances are you just might end up with something valuable